UPDATE 9/3/18: Smash Bros. series boss Masahiro Sakurai has confirmed his involvement in Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo Switch.
Writing on Twitter following last night’s announcement, Sakurai said he had been working on the Switch version in secret for some time:
“Right now we’re just at the stage where we revealed this game, but I’ve been working on this game in silence day after day,” he wrote. “Please wait until we can release more information, or until release day!” (Thanks to SourceGaming for the translation, which we’ve independently checked.)
— 桜井 政博 (@Sora_Sakurai) March 8, 2018
Sakurai has repeatedly suggested he may be ready to hang up his cap on the Smash Bros. series or take more of a backseat. Famously, Smash Bros. for Wii was announced on stage at E3 before he even had knowledge of the project – only to dutifully accept the call-up to direct the game when he was subsequently told.
The frontman for the franchise’s development, the fact Sakurai is back for another game is being warmly received by fans.
Super Smash Bros. has been announced for Nintendo Switch, with a 2018 release date.
The biggest announcement of tonight’s Nintendo Direct broadcast, Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo Switch was revealed in a teaser trailer featuring the Inklings from Splatoon, confirming their addition to the brawler’s line-up.
Mario, Link, and a whole host of other regulars from the game’s line-up are back, too.
Nintendo is set to launch the Switch paid online service this September. What better game to tie into the launch?